The Flying Lovers of Vitebsk
Based in Cornwall, Kneehigh is a theatre company with an established local, national and international profile. Performing with joyful anarchy, they have been presenting their vigorous, popular and challenging brand of theatre around the world for more than 30 years Passionate about their multi-disciplined creative process, the company works with an ever-changing ensemble of performers, artists, technicians, administrators, makers and musicians to tell stories about humanity on an epic and tiny scale.
Daniel Jamieson’s The Flying Lovers of Vitebsk traces the lives of the young Marc and Bella Chagall as they navigate the Pogroms, the Russian Revolution and each other. Partners in life and on canvas, Marc and Bella are immortalised as the picture of romance. But whilst on canvas they flew, in life they walked through some of the most devastating times in history. Director Emma Rice’s sophisticated production is drawn in a theatrical language as fluid as Chagall’s paintings; and woven throughout with music and dance inspired by Russian Jewish tradition.
Number of people on stage4
Number of people in touring companyRunning team x 8 people / Additional set up team x 5 people
Approximately 1 x 20ft container / 3 tonne weight. To be discussed on a case by case basis.
Touring AvailabilityFrom March 2018
Scale of venueSmall-scale (capacity up to 400)
Minimum performance space8.5m x 9.5m x 6m
Text-basedMedium (some text with a strong visual/physical element)
Production dates15-27 AUGUST
15 Walsingham Place
Contact for touring
Contact at showcase
Ali Robertson and Liz King
- Kneehigh and the Creative Space: a workshop focused on Kneehigh's way of making work - suitable for teachers, facilitators and drama leaders seeking professional development
- kneehighcookbook.co.uk: Members website for those wanting to learn more about how the company work. The Cookbook includes exclusive videos, photographs and documentation from behind the scenes
- Kneehigh Rambles Programme: The company use event and adventure to engage creatively with communities on tour. Story collecting walks, creative workshops and pop up performances are all part of the toolkit
- Kneehigh Lowdown: an interactive lecture about Kneehigh's history and the way in which the company make work
- Consultancy: Ali Robertson, Kneehigh's Executive Producer, has 20 years experience as a Director of festivals and theatres in UK and Ireland, and of producing national and international touring theatre work. Ali has experience as a consultant, advising companies on strategic development, project development and touring and could offer consultancy to help organisations examine their national and international touring model or company ambition
- Post-show Q&As